Although not a medical device, the Michigan Instruments Test Lung Simulator and PneuView training systems are designed to raise the bar on the quality and reliability of lung simulators as well as respiratory and ventilation care of patients.
Michigan Instruments Test Lung Simulators provide a dynamic simulation and response to mechanical ventilation and other therapies, making them ideal tools for teaching, testing, training, and research. Our products quickly simulate realistic patient conditions, yet are compact, accurate, and easy to use
Using our products in the training of respiratory medical professionals and clinicians ensures:
- The fidelity of training scenarios in simulated clinical settings related to lung compliance and resistance.
- That medical professionals are prepared to assist with a wide variety of pulmonary conditions, covering the range from small infant to large adult complications.
- The quality and safety of respiratory therapy products throughout their lifecycle by means of enhanced preventive maintenance and maintenance support.
- That ventilation techniques such as Assist/Control, IMV/SIMV, and Pressure Support are practiced and mastered through the simulated spontaneous breathing patterns of a patient.
- That patients receive the highest level of ventilation support care by professionals who have trained under the most realistic settings possible.
Our single and dual adult test lung simulator models also allow educators and medical researchers to test new ideas and mechanisms of ventilation as ventilation and ventilator technologies are developed and introduced. Our lung simulation systems are designed to simulate the characteristics of patients of a wide range of ages, shapes, sizes and lung/chest conditions. Medical professionals count on the accurate measurement of delivered lung volumes, lung pressures, and airway pressures using analog gauges and printed scales on these devices.
Look to Michigan Instruments for versatile, proven solutions to breathing simulation.
Learn more about our Training & Test Lung Devices here, or contact us for more information!
Did you know that one or more of our test lung simulation products are used in the majority of Respiratory Therapy programs throughout the United States and even in many countries around the world? It’s true! Test lung simulators designed and manufactured by Michigan Instruments are utilized in many Colleges, Universities and Training Schools because of their accurate and reliable human pulmonary system simulation capabilities.
As we continue to improve our line of test lung simulators, the investments made by Respiratory Therapy programs have never been so good – and here 10 reasons why.
Test lung simulators work well within Respiratory Therapy programs because:
- Facilitators can simulate a wide variety of healthy and diseased lung conditions by altering the lung compliance and airway resistance in a one- or two-lung simulation.
- Students work with a realistic total lung volume and residual volume (especially when using the Dual Adult Lung Training & Test Lung).
- There is great versatility in the models in regard to introducing gases, tapping into the lungs or airways, and connecting axillary devices like CO2 monitors.
- With the Dual Adult Training & Test lung, facilitators can simulate unilateral lung disease and the resulting ventilation dynamics.
- You can simulate a spontaneous breathing patient and evaluate the response of devices in various support modes.
- The available Head Simulation Modules facilitate education and studies with various oxygen delivery systems and non-invasive ventilation devices/techniques.
With the addition of PneuView Software…
- You can get data and waveform displays of pressure, volume, and flow, even when using simple ventilation devices like BVM’s, emergency ventilators, and CPAP systems.
- Facilitators can store recordings of ventilation runs for later demonstration and evaluations.
- Students and others can conduct research and easily save their data.
Test lung simulator key takeaway:
More important than anything in the classroom setting, these test lung simulators are easy-to-use and durable. Many institutions have been using our products for years continuously and without issue. The PneuView software was also made with simplicity in mind, and our software product continues to evolve alongside the needs of our customers. To learn more, read the Top 5 Reasons to Train with a Lung Simulator. If you’re interested in learning more about our test lung simulation devices, the PneuView Software, or any of our additional products, contact us anytime for more information.
At Michigan Instruments, our Test Lung Simulators are used for a number of different applications. From classroom instruction to product evaluation, pulmonary research or clinical intervention, our customers value the versatility, accuracy, and realism of our test lung simulations. But what if the simulation and testing isn’t for a human?
A veterinary facility located in Ponte Verde, Florida recently reached out to the experts at Michigan Instruments with a unique request.
They were developing a ventilator designed for use on dolphins when putting them under anesthesia and needed a way to test this piece of equipment. The Test Lung Simulator had to be able to measure at a much larger pulmonary capacity than is necessary for humans – 12 liters to be exact – and there was nothing available on the market.
In short, they needed to simulate dolphins under anesthesia, and needed a device that could simulate and measure large tidal volumes to successfully test their equipment before using it on live animals. They looked to Michigan Instruments for help.
The team at Michigan Instruments began developing and testing a unique solution for the veterinary clinic, helping them ensure their ventilators were safe and effective for medical use.
By taking three of our dual adult test lungs and manufacturing a special airway assembly that connected all three together, we were able to provide the lung capacity that was required to simulate the dolphin pulmonary system.
We forged and built the custom airway in-house, developed in-depth operational documents and sent the test lungs directly to the veterinary clinic with everything they needed to accurately test their equipment.
The veterinary clinic was able to successfully test their ventilators in preparation for use on large mammals such as dolphins. They were also able to train other specialists on their ventilator’s operation in advance of any anesthetic surgery.
From Michigan Instruments’ perspective, it was a lot fun to develop this custom product for such a unique application!
“It was a fun adventure,” says Eric Hadesh, Document Control Manager at Michigan Instruments, “it was definitely something we don’t do day-to-day and it was interesting to determine how best to complete and assemble the system, then come up with the pictures and documentation. It was a great learning experience for us, but also an exceptional application of our lung simulation products and capabilities.”
This is just one example of many that shows how Michigan Instruments continues to forge ahead as an innovative pioneer in the respiratory care industry. Setting the standard in quality, versatility and durability, we never shy away from a challenge and are always operating from a ‘what’s next’ mentality.
Learn more about our test lung simulators or contact us today with any questions. We love a good challenge and can’t wait to hear about how you would like to use any of our state-of-the-art products to better train your people, test your products, or perform groundbreaking medical research.
Our Training Test Lung and PneuView®3 Systems offer more training capabilities than ever before.
Recent product updates and software enhancements have further improved our Training Test Lung devices and Lung Simulation software including:
- Realistically simulating healthy or diseased lung conditions
- Allowing for adjustable settings for lung compliance and airway resistance
- Can be used for multiple applications for teaching, research, and testing
- A dedicated Software (PneuView) used to view, capture, record, and replay ventilation data (Watch a video showcasing this system’s capabilities.)
- A durable, low-maintenance design, able to withstand student use and abuse
Train & Practice with Mechanical Ventilators
Our Training Test Lungs are mechanical devices that simulate the dynamic anatomic forces at play during ventilation. These sophisticated devices provide students with the ability to train and practice with mechanical ventilators and other respiratory care equipment before and during their clinical experience. The realistic simulations and real-time feedback help students learn how to properly manage a variety of respiratory conditions, better preparing them for real lifesaving scenarios.
Unlike more basic test lungs, Training Test Lungs and PneuView systems offer residual lung volumes and a dynamic response to therapy that more realistically represents the human pulmonary system. Our systems are available in Adult and Infant models as well.
Learn more about our Training & Test Lung Devices here, or contact us for more information.
Put Your Trust in Michigan Instruments’ Training Test Lungs
For decades, Michigan Instruments Training & Test Lungs and PneuView® Software Systems have provided realistic respiratory simulations, providing many test lung uses for equipment manufacturers.
Training & Test Lung Uses/Manufacturing Applications
- Design, test & improve Respiratory Care products
- Confirm the performance of products prior to delivery to customers
- Troubleshoot performance problems, applying realistic “loads” on the products
- Train your Engineering, Tech Support, Marketing, and Sales personnel on use of your products
- Demonstrate products to customers and prospects.
Our Training & Test Lungs provide adjustable compliance and resistance, simulating both healthy and diseased lung conditions. They also provide realistic residual lung volumes and allow ventilation volumes of up to 4.0 liters (Dual Adult TTL). If you’re testing respiratory care masks or other patient accessories, you may be interested in our recently introduced Head Simulation Modules as well.
Our mechanical lung provides real-time feedback with on-board volume scales and pressure gauges. Multiple ports on the test lungs provide access for additional monitoring, sampling, or introduction of gas or agents during testing. Adding the PneuView electronics and software allows you to view, record, and replay the dynamic data from the test lung.
Learn more about these lung simulation products here, or contact us today to learn more.